Pedestrian deaths from railroad trespassing have increased nearly 20 percent in recent years. Approximately 95 percent of all railroad-related fatalities in the United States are the result of illegal trespassing or highway-grade crossing collisions, the vast majority of which are preventable.
To help reduce these tragedies, the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) is sponsoring six free, two-day Railroad Trespass Prevention and Grade Crossing Technology Summits across the United States (). The goals of these Summits are to:
- raise awareness of the dangers and impacts of trespassing
- seek out low-cost solutions to local trespassing issues
- discuss practicable ideas for technological improvements at grade crossings
Each Summit will feature two days of discussions:
Railroad Trespass Prevention. Railroad and FRA officials will discuss current industry practices and new local strategies for reducing right-of-way and trespassing incidents and fatalities. Summit participants will also examine the roots of trespassing, the impact of trespassing on their communities, and possible future actions to reduce incidents.
Highway-Rail Grade Crossing Technology. As an offshoot of the October 30, 2018, Trespasser & Grade Crossing Fatality Prevention Summit and November 19, 2019, Grade Crossing & Trespasser Fatality Prevention Symposium, FRA and railroad stakeholders will provide innovative ideas for technological improvements at grade crossings that were compiled at 2019 Listening Sessions. Presentations will include implementation of such technologies, identification of funding sources and opportunities, and recommendations for achieving desired outcomes.
- Houston–Galveston Area Council in Houston, TX – April 28 & 29, 2020
- Congress Plaza Hotel in Chicago, IL – May 5 & 6, 2020
- Tri-Rail Headquarters in Pompano Beach, FL – May 13 &14, 2020
- Oakland, CA – June 3 & 4, 2020 Location TBA
- Stockton, CA – June 8 & 9, 2020 Location TBA
- Inland Empire in Ontario, CA – TBA
If you have been injured in a railroad accident, it is critical that you hire an experienced attorney. Please call DBJ today at 1-800-875-5972 for a free consultation.